PhillyHBC Official Forum

Connor: "It's important like tennis is important!"

First time Cheese-maker

Have you attempted to make your own cheese or sausage? Post your questions, ideas, and progress here.

Moderators: joey, coff

Re: First time Cheese-maker

Postby mac21 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:17 pm

It's tough to beat a pound of mozz for $3 vs $10! I made mozz for the first time this last week too. Turned out great. I did the microwave method and it turned out super well. I'm already bored with mozz though and so am looking for new ideas. What are some other cheeses that ya'll have made?
mac21

Liked in: 0 post

Postby coff » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:38 am

I think its about time I get into this.
coff

Postby mellodybrew » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:40 am

I've been thinking of getting into making cheese, cause I buy so darn much. How long does this fresh cheese last?
mellodybrew

Postby jwible204 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:59 am

mellodybrew wrote:I've been thinking of getting into making cheese, cause I buy so darn much. How long does this fresh cheese last?

I usually eat it same day, but have had Mozzarella in the fridge for about 5 days with no issues. I made some on Saturday but it all went onto a few pizzas I was making. Not that Mozz is difficult, but if you want to start with something even easier, check out this farmer's cheese video/tutorial.

http://cheese.wonderhowto.com/how-to/ma ... lt-415340/

It's fantastic, I've made it a few times and my favorite is using zested lemon peel right in the cheese. I think incorporating roasted garlic would be a nice addition too.
jwible204

Previous

Return to Cheese and Sausage